Sunday

World Cup 06




Switzerland – Lausanne

I forgot my passport at my apartment. That’s how my State-side departure started, but there was plenty of time to get it before we left. The plane ride to Zurich had to be the longest, most uncomfortable flight that I’ve ever experienced. In the airport, there seemed to be these really tall, thin girls everywhere; and for one in my life, I didn’t feel so alone in the world. We (Gay, Alicia and I) took a short flight to Geneva, which is in the French part of Switzerland. Our hotel was in Lausanne. We had beautiful views of the lake from our hotel rooms and I spent 24 Francs keeping track of the Mavericks (Finals Game 3) on the Internet with Gay at 3am. They had beer in the vending machine, which appeased Gay.

True story: I left my bag with my money, passport and everything else in it on a bench at the train station, but it was picked up by a guy who worked at the station before the train left. And henceforth, Gay asks if I have my black bag.

Switzerland – Murren

I can officially cross off “rode an air cable car” off of my list of “Things I want to do in the air.” ( Yes, this list does exist.) Murren is in the middle of the Swiss Alps. Mountains everywhere and waterfalls. We watched Germany defeat Poland on a last minute goal. However, I was disappointed that the Swiss coverage didn’t include the exchanging of shirts after the game. We meet the nicest people who worked in our hotel. Emma actually came back at 3am, so we could watch the Mavs game (Finals Game 4) on TV. We asked Marco, the chef, what he wanted from America and he said “Peace.” Don’t we all. We love the Swiss Germans!

True story: We were at the top of a mountain in the Alps and my zipper was undone, and I told Gay, “No wonder I was so cold.”






Germany – Munich

I wasn’t expecting so much diversity in Germany, but there all types of people (Italians, Africans, Asians) in the city. Munich is a leisure city. There’s no big business buildings blocking the views. There is an abundance of people everywhere wearing their Ronaldinho t-shirts waving flags and blown up Kangaroos. There is nothing like the World Cup in America. Flags hanging from apartment buildings and in car windows. People chanting songs in the street. I can’t imagine an event that bring people together like this. It’s amazing. Used cell phone to keep track of Mavs game (Finals Game5). Highly disappointed that the Premiere cable channel decided to show a Red Sox’s game and a re-run Japan-Croatia (0-0) match instead of basketball. Come on Deutschland, we are talking about Dirk. Found German hip-hop group called Fettes Brot to listen to while watching MTV.

True Story: Had to go to train station at 11pm to look for a tampon, which apparently is not a universal word, because the German guy at the pay bathroom had no idea what I was saying; and in walked an Australian who apparently had to go before he made it to the bathroom.









Germany – Berlin

I could live in Berlin. The people here are really friendly. It’s easy to navigate around using the train. And even if there are hundreds of people in the streets celebrating a Germany victory, it doesn’t seem overly crowded. In the back of my mind, I have a plan to open a bar called Die Dirk Garten in Berlin where people can watch basketball at 3 in the morning.













True Story:
Saw African man bongoing to Depeche Mode song on the street. Also, slept with blown up German #1 finger to bring good luck to the Mavs (Finals Game 6). Oh well, have something to take to Mavs game next year.

Czech Republic – Prague

The buildings in Prague are beautiful. It’s definitely a tourist town. Surprisingly, it’s trendier than Berlin. I thought I would enjoy the market more, but I felt as though most people were standing around without any purpose. Maybe I would have felt different in another part of town. I did have the best potato pancakes ever at the restaurant that was in a cellar. I had a wonderful time. I look forward to exploring more of Europe.

True Story: Met Czech basketball fan who was a big fan of Shaq. He had been following Shaq since he was with the Orlando Magic. Gave him Mavs shirt to win him over.



On iPod:
- "Don't Panic" (Coldplay)
- "Is It Any Wonder" (Keane)
- "Young Americans" (David Bowie)
- "Munich" (Editors)
- "Miss You" (Rolling Stones)
- "Auf Ausche" (Franz Ferdinand)
- "Mass Destruction" (Faithless)
- "Hard to Beat" (Hard Fi)
- "Black Devil Car" (Jamiroquai)
- "Damelo" (Juanes)
- "Slow" (Kylie Minogue)
- "Misty Mountain Top" (Led Zeppelin)
- "Finding Out True Love is Blind" (Louis VIX)
- "No Suprises" (Radiohead)
- "Private Dancer" (Tina Turner)
- "Suddenly I See" (KT Tunstall)
- "Here's Where The Story Ends" (The Sundays)
- "Everyday People" (Sly and The Family Stones)
- "A Man and A Woman" (U2)
- "Level" (Raconteurs)
- "Dancing Shoes" (Arctic Monkeys)
- "Hero" (Bloc Party)
- "Girls & Boys (Blur)
- "Get Yourself High" (Chemical Brothers)

No comments: